Our Northern Shaolin Kung Fu classes are intense. They are physically-challenging, engaging and informative. But most of all, the Northern Shaolin Kung Fu classes are Fun! From group and partner drills, breathing exercises, hands-on application training, Chinese language patterns, solo practices, philosophical discussions, bonding and team-building exercises, meditations, traditional conditioning drills…to a whole lot more. Obviously, not each and every class can sustain all of the varied activities to be found within our Kung Fu systems, so instead, we provide a framework that each class will follow. And within that framework is the allowance of these rotating variables.
General Northern Shaolin Kung Fu Class
The FrameworkEach class will follow this general framework:
- Conversations & Chit-Chat before or after class, as students arrive / leave
- Class Announcements, Special Events, Test Day reminders, General Q & A, any new student introductions necessary, etc.
- Open Class Ceremony (bowing in, incense lighting, etc.)
- Full-body Warm up exercises
- Challenging physical Circuit Drill
- Breathing Exercises
- Stance training (sometimes Chinese language practice at the same time or perhaps discussions, etc.)
- Kicking practice (looking at many fine points of physicality, targeting, power, non-telegraphing, relaxing, distance / spacing, timing and more)
- Partner Application Drills
- Solo Practice, tweaks / fixes, learning new material, etc.
- Group Drill (perhaps more partner application drills, multiple attacker games, sensitivity training or one of a wide variety of training methodologies)
- Traditional Body Conditioning (followed by attention to injury-prevention techniques)
- Meditative tactics
- Short Closing Discussion, focusing on the identification of personal “Take-Homes“
- Close Class Ceremony
The VariablesEarlier we mentioned some rotating variables. What might some of these variable activities be that might switch out from time to time?
- Sometimes, as life would have it, the Death of a Wulin member happens. Sifu teaches about the person and we pay homage by learning a bit about their style.
- We might pull out the “Box of Five Minutes of Fu“. We have a box containing hundreds of 3×5 index cards. Students randomly pick through the shuffled deck of cards to see what they will practice continuously for five minutes. They then record the stats on their own personal training worksheet.
- Each month, we have a Monthly Theme. This can be anything from The Four Basic Strikes (as in Western Boxing) to Footwork, Circular Seeds, Harmonizing Breath with Movement, or Visualizing your Opponent…There’s a wide variety of themes.
- Pad Work Sometimes we bring out the focus mitts and work on striking, speed, focus, precision, combinations or other things.
- Wu De In the Kung Fu world, we have Wu De, which translates to Martial Virtue. Sometimes Sifu needs to address an unintentional setback a student made, or simply explaining the finer points of this old code of conduct.
- Administrative Sometimes we just need to keep the house in order. Things in life just come up sometimes and so we might need to make adjustments, as they affect more than one person. Or we might be having a Photo Shoot this Saturday or whoops! Someone just booked us for a Demo!